The privacy of your personal information is afforded the highest level of importance by The Border Watch Pty Ltd ACN 007 828 819 (TBW, we or us).
TBW is bound by the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act) regarding the manner in which we handle your personal information, and we will strictly comply with all relevant legislative requirements.
What kinds of personal information do we collect?
The kinds of personal information that we collect and hold include:
- your contact information, including postal and residential addresses, telephone and facsimile numbers, and email addresses;
- invoicing and payment details;
- customer testimonials; and
- for job applicants or staff, employment history, educational qualifications, health information (ie. medical reports) and payroll details.
How do we collect and hold personal information?
We will only collect personal information where it is reasonably necessary to do so for the conduct of our business. Any collection of personal information by us will be fair and lawful and will not be intrusive.
We will collect personal information about you in a variety of ways, including:
- if you provide your information by telephone, facsimile, email or post;
- if we enter into services arrangements with you;
- if you provide services to us or on our behalf; and/or
- if you contact us via email or submit your information through one of our websites.
If it is reasonable and practical do so, we will collect personal information about you only from you. In the course of operating our business, however, we may collect personal information from third parties such as suppliers, recruitment agencies, medical professionals, contractors and business partners.
If we collect personal information about you from a third party we will, where appropriate, request that the third party inform you that we are holding such information, how we will use and disclose it, and that you may contact us to gain access to and correct and update the information.
When we collect personal information from you, we will take reasonable steps to notify you or ensure you are aware of:
- the fact that we have collected your personal information;
- whether that collection is required or authorised by law;
- the purposes of collection;
- the consequences if personal information is not collected (such as if this will affect our ability to provide products or services to you);
- our usual disclosures of personal information of the kind collected;
- whether we are likely to disclose personal information to overseas recipients, and if practicable, the relevant countries in which they are located.
How do we hold personal information?
We will hold personal information as either secure physical records, electronically on our intranet system, in cloud storage, and in some cases, records on third party servers, which may be located overseas.
We take active steps to hold all hard copy and electronic records of personal information in a secure manner to ensure that they are protected from misuse, interference and loss, and unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
We will destroy or de-identify personal information once it is no longer needed for a valid purpose or required to be kept by law.
Purposes for which we collect, hold, use and disclose personal information
In general, TBW will collect, hold, use and disclose personal information for the purposes of providing or offering our products and services to you or engaging you to provide services to us or on our behalf.
By providing us with your personal information, you consent to us using and disclosing your personal information for the following purposes:
- offering products and services to you;
- providing you with news and information about our business;
- sending you marketing and promotional material that we believe you may be interested in a third party business which we consider may be of interest to you;
- personalising your experience with our products and services, for example, via connectivity with social media services; and
- investigating and assessing insurance claims.
Our Staff and Contractors
- assessing your eligibility for employment with TBW;
- engaging you to provide services to us or on our behalf;
- managing your employment or contractor relationship with TBW; and
- administrating and facilitating workcover claims.
You may opt out of receiving marketing and promotional material from TBW at any time by contacting our email@example.com.
There may be circumstances in which we are authorised or required by law to use or disclose your personal information. For instance:
- A number of laws require the provision of personal information to third parties, including the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth). The precise information required to be provided will vary depending on the circumstances requiring disclosure of that information.
- We may also use or disclose personal information about you to avoid, lessen or prevent a serious emergency or crime. If we use or disclose personal information about you in those circumstances, we will make a written record of such use or disclosure.
We may disclose personal information to third parties such as our suppliers, organisations that provide us with technical and support services, or our professional advisors, where permitted by the Privacy Act. If we disclose information to a third party, we generally require that the third party protect your information to the same extent that we do.
How can you access your personal information?
You have a right to request access to your personal information and to request its correction if it is out of date or incorrect.
You may request access or correction at any time by sending a written request to our Privacy Officer.
You do not need to provide a reason for your request for access to your personal information. We may charge a small fee for providing access to your personal information if it requires a significant amount of time to locate or collect your information or to present it in an appropriate form. We will not charge you to correct or update your personal information that we hold in our records.
We will respond to all requests for access to or correction of personal information within a reasonable time.
Please note there may be circumstances in which we are not able to provide you with access to your information, such as where the requested access will have an unreasonable impact upon the privacy of others or where we are required by law to withhold the information. If we are unable to provide you with access to your information, or make the amendments which you have requested, we will provide you with reasons for this decision.
We take all complaints seriously, and will respond to your complaint within a reasonable period.
If you are dissatisfied with the handling of your complaint, you may contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner:
Office of the Australian Information Commissioner
GPO Box 5218
Sydney NSW 2001
Telephone: 1300 363 992
Cross Border Disclosures of Information
Where practicable, we are required to provide the option for you to deal with us anonymously or under a pseudonym. This option will not be available where we are required or authorised by law to deal with individuals who have identified themselves, or if we need to verify your identity in order to provide products or services to you.
Our Privacy Officer can be contacted as follows:
28-30 Finniss Street
North Adelaide SA 5006